Consultation, Legal Representation
Consultation, Legal Representation and Application Service for Projects with Public Funding
The legal office and consultancy specialises exclusively in consulting, representing and application of film, media and cultural funding. Within this specialisation, the office provides full legal service. Some of the clients have further legal advisors. Due to its specialisation, the legal office is then being additionally consulted.
The service is addressed to German and international producers and co-producers, distributors, financiers and private persons. Moreover, the service is in demand from political decision-makers, associations and guilds, for example, for the creation of funding guidelines.
In addition, the office offers individual funding workshops for corporations. Lectures at film academies and colleges, media conventions and further education institutions complete the service.
The service covers state-of-the-art structuring, filing and processing of applications for film, media and cultural projects financed by German and European funding bodies that are applicable from Germany (e.g. German Federal Film Fund, Creative Europe). This includes in particular production as well as distribution funds (e.g. FFA, BKM, regional funders, Media and Eurimages).
Finally, applications to the national authorities responsible for certificates of origin (BAFA) and other German certificates like FBW and FSK as well as applications to the German tax authorities for APA (Advanced-Pricing-Agreements) are offered.
Within the specialisation, the office takes over the litigation and offers a specialised second opinion for public funding affairs.
The office also provides a confidential emergency service for projects in a current crisis situation.
The office has an excellent legal network of colleagues available for all mandates outside of the specialisation.
What we offer
Distribution funding, film funding, Creative Europe, FFA, production funding, video funding, application support, Eurimages, film financing
Legal Security and Structure as your Financing Advantage
longtime experience in film, media and cultural funding
excellent relationships to the funding bodies and authorities as well
experienced branch network in order to realise your projects
specialisation in the law of film, media and cultural funding
experienced team with high competence in applications
high flexibility, handtailored service
comprehensive legal service: legally grounded, contemporary expertise, confidential
longtime funding contacts
approved branch network for realising you projects
Volker Otte, Lawyer
Volker Otte, born Hamburg in 1962. First and second state law examination in 1990 and 1993 respectively. Afterwards Senior Civil Servant of the City of Berlin, latterly in the Chancellery of the Berlin Senate for the Governing Mayor.
From 1995 to 1998 head of the legal department of the German Federal Film Board (FFA), then authorised signatory and founder of the film funding department at Road Movies Filmproduktion.
Independent legal office and consultancy since October 2002, specialising in the law of Film, Media and Cultural Funding.
Member of the European Film Academy (www.europeanfilmacademy.org)
Member of the “German-French-Film Academy” (www.das-rendez-vous.org)
Member of the German Film Academy Association (www.deutsche-filmakademie.de)
Member of supporters circle of the Film and Television Museum (www.filmmuseum-berlin.de)
Working languages: German, English
Marko Djerek, born in Berlin in October 1985. Studied at the Europa-Universität Viadrina Frankfurt/Oder and at the University of Ljublijana, graduating with a Master‘s in European Studies in 2016. Working in the office since February 2010. Initially as an intern, followed by a student assisant position and as a permanent employee since April 2016. Participated in a variety of workshops and seminars on the topic of filmfunding held by the Erich-Pommer-Institut.
Working languages: German, English
Edith Richter, born in April 1994. After finishing high school in Dessau in 2012, she studied Media Management / Journalism in Magdeburg and graduated in 2018. While being a student, she worked as an intern in Business Affairs at Babelsberg Motion Pictures GmbH (mainly with applications for filmfunding and production services) and got employed as an assistent to managing director and accounting afterwards. She joined the law office in August 2019.
Working languages: German, English
- Serena & the Island, Director: tba, in development.
- Western, Drama, Director: Valeska Grisebach, 2017
- Club der Roten Bänder (Red Bracelets – The Beginning), Drama, Director: Felix Binder, 2019
- Wendy, Adventure, Director: Dagmar Seume, 2017
- Systemfehler – Wenn Inge tanzt (When Inge Is Dancing), Comedy, Directors: Wolfgang Groos, 2013, approx. 98 min.
- fernOst – Von Berlin nach Tokio, TV Documentary Series, TV-Documentary-series, Director: Christian Klemke & Johannes Unger, 2013, approx. 450 min. (10 episodes x 45 min.)
- The Paradise trilogy:
- Paradise: Hope, Drama, Director: Ulrich Seidl, 2013, 92 min.
- Paradise: Faith, Drama, Director: Ulrich Seidl, 2012, 115 min.
- Paradise: Love, Drama, Director: Ulrich Seidl, 2012, 120 min.
- Little Big Panda, 3D Animation, Directors: Michael Schoemann, Greg Manwaring, 2012, 88 min.
- Pina, 3D Documentary, Director: Wim Wenders, 2011, 99 min.
- Orly, Drama, Director: Angela Schanelec, 2010, 84 min.
- When We Leave, Drama, Director: Feo Aladag, 2009, 119 min.
- Within the Whirlwind, Drama, Director: Marleen Gorris, 2009, 100 min.
- Zwischen heute und morgen (Between Tomorrow and Today), Romantic Movie/ Drama, Director: Fred Breinersdorfer, 2009, 83 min.
- Kill Daddy Good Night, Drama, Director: Michael Glawogger, 2009, 117 min.
- The Palermo Shooting, Drama, Director: Wim Wenders, 2008, 109 min.
- Reclaim your Brain, Drama, Director: Hans Weingartner, 2007, 110 min.
- The Great Match, Comedy, Director: Gerardo Olivares, 2006, 88 min.
- Bye Bye Berlusconi!, Comedy, Director: Jan Henrik Stahlberg, 2006, 86 min.
- Bye, Bye Blackbird, Drama, Director: Robinson Savary, 2005, 99 min.
- Seven Dwarfs, Comedy, Director: Sven Unterwaldt Jr., 2004, 95 min.
- The Edukators, Drama, Director: Hans Weingartner, 2004, 127 min.
- Egoshooter, Drama, Director: Christian Becker/Oliver Schwabe, 2004, 72 min.
- Fools, Drama, Director: Tom Schreiber, 2003, 93 min.
- Two, Drama, Director: Werner Schroeter, 2002, 121 min.
- June Moon, Drama, Director: Hanno Hackfort, 2002, 92 min.
- Half the Rent, Crime, Director: Marc Ottiker, 2002, 92 min.
- 24 hours in the life of a woman, Drama, Director: Laurent Bouhnik, 2002, 107 min.
- Ten Minutes Older: The Trumpet, Drama, Director: Kaige Chen et al., 2002, 92 min.
- Ten Minutes Older: The Cello, Drama/Musical/ Science Fiction, Director: Bernardo Bertolucci et al., 2002, 146 min.
- Sweet Sixteen, Drama, Director: Ken Loach, 2002, 106 min.
- Bend it like Beckham, Comedy/ Drama, Director: Gurinder Chadha, 2002, 112 min.
- The Navigators, Comedy/ Drama, Director: Ken Loach, 2001, 96 min.
Workshops & lectures
The office offers individual lectures and workshops for companies, institutions, film schools and further education facilities.
We are looking for a team oriented intern for our office. At least 30 hours a week for the period of 3 months.
Your tasks would mainly be in the areas of preparation, application and completion of funding applications for German and international film productions as well as for rental and distribution activities (cinema, video & DVD).
We look forward to your application via mail with a short cover letter, tabular resume and a photo of yourself. Please let us know the earliest time you could start with the internship as well as your temporary availability.